We've been using Voice Thread after each class as a way to recap each class and ask some additional questions. Voice Thread has so many applications.
For my Kindergarten students, with assistance, they would be able to create and share a story with the class or with families. Students can upload pictures that they created using programs like Pixie or Inspiration directly into the view. The student could then speak the story instead of writing it- a GREAT alternative for my young students! So many of them have great story ideas, but it can be a painful process to get it written down on paper. This way students can put more effort into creating great illustrations and can narrate the story!
The site is simple to use- after choosing "Create" you can select what type of media feed you would like. You can upload files from your computer, use your webcam, another url, and there is even a direct link to other media sources like flickr. Mulitple images and pictures can be selected if your student had several illustrations for their story. After all of the images are ready and in order, you can simply record a "Comment" to tell the story. You can advance through the pictures while recording when it is appropriate. Very simple to use!
This would be especially helpful for me because some students struggle to ever get anything on paper that make sense. Using Voice Thread, they can have a nice looking product and an understandable story (mostly).
This Kindergarten Class used Voice Thread after studying the author Mo Willems.
This video discusses the importance of using oral storytelling with young students as a way to organize their thoughts and ideas.
Monica,
ReplyDeleteI looked at the kindergarten teacher's blog and was surprised to see my VoiceThread picture on the teacher's blog VoiceThread images! It was ready for me to comment I guess. The program is smart!
I would love to use VoiceThread with my 7th graders; some of them have trouble putting their thoughts into words as well. I am hoping the county will give us access to the site.
Monica, this a a great use of Voice Thread. I know the students and parents would love to see and hear the reading and it would make the writing process so much easier. Do you know of any sites similar to Voice Thread that we have access to?
ReplyDeleteJanet- Do you know how we regain access?
ReplyDeleteCara- I wonder if there is something unblocked that I can use. I would like to use it at school, it seems very motivating.